Sunday 8 June 2014

The Lost Diaries



This is not my diary.

Ramya noticed the change. 

Oh no! Whose diary is this then? 

She opened it. The name read: ASHWANTH SANTHOSH

How come? Coincidence?

 She could not remember but by some strange coincidence, his diary had landed up on her hands. 

Curiosity got the better of her and she started reading it.

“…..Ramya Ramesh – how can I forget her? … the only love I have felt in my life … keep thinking of her every single day… why doesn’t she understands me? … I don’t expect anything from her. I like her the way she is… with all her flaws… she’s perfect in her imperfections … I got angry with her … she kept ignoring me… I felt so… not knowing the truth… if only she understands my love… I am prepared to bring the world for her… she may not be the most beautiful or most intelligent or most charming… but she is everything to me…my angel… my Rums… I wish I had not fought with her… it was because of jealousy, envy, possessiveness or whatever… I realize that I am wrong… if only she talks to me again… I’ll tell her the truth…how much I love her…how much she means to me … it’s been a month since she spoke to me… or messaged me or had any contacts with me …I am alive with life…life on the outside… but I know…that I am dead inside… faking my smile… and happiness…when I know…that true happiness is when I am with her… when I talk to her… when I see her smile…she may or may not like me… I have no idea…she has many male friends now…but all I pray for…is for just another chance, a small meet … where I could just tell her… how much I love her… she may not like it…she may just brush it aside… but I must say how much I love her… love you Ramya….then, now and forever.”

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Her eyes were wet. 

Somewhere else, someone was reading a diary.

“…Ashwanth… how I wish he understands…I like him… have always liked him…smart, intelligent… if only he had loved me …and understood my love…I can’t talk to him always…I won’t be able to…wish he understands…I may not talk to him…doesn’t mean that I don’t think about him… I think of him every day… I loved him a lot then… he was focused on his exams…I could not tell him… he would not have listened…he liked me later…I wasn’t ready then…he helped me a lot… he got me a lot of things… many songs… many books…he substituted for me… I knew he liked me then…I wasn’t sure… but I guess he liked me…but he could not say it…I was glad…I wasn’t ready… I’d have hurt him… then he grew fond of me…messaged me a lot… I liked it… but the frequency increased…he probably missed me…I don’t know for sure…but the messages were too much to handle…then the fights happened… he grew angry… I have never seen him that way…he was acting crazy… he wasn’t the Ashwanth I knew… was he growing jealous that I was talking to other boys… probably…boys are a bit possessive…probably, he felt the same way…I’d never know…I should have waited… but I lost my patience…I retaliated…I fought with him…told him not to talk to me…or contact me… in any way… he was devastated… he pleaded for forgiveness…but no…I had a stronger ego…I was not going to give in… felt sorry… but no…I am not going to yield… I may have shunned him…somewhere in my mind …I have this thought that I can’t have him… I still don’t think he loves me…he’s popular…he has many girls as friends… he probably loves someone…I’d never know… that’s why he hasn’t told anything to me…about his love…or maybe not…I don’t know…I haven’t spoken to him…for over a month now…I don’t talk to him.. doesn’t mean I don’t think about him…I think about him…every single day…how I wish… I could muster the courage… to tell him…how I love him…or how I secretly wish…that he’d tell me… the same… but I know this for sure…I love Ashwanth…yes, I do…”

Ashwanth didn’t know what to say. He was overcome with joy. It brought along tears. Only a while ago, he was worried that he had misplaced his diary and got someone else’s.  He then read the name on the diary. And curiosity got the better of him too as he flipped through its pages.

Was this a coincidence? Or was it a divine blessing that he should get her diary?

How does it matter?

The next day:

Ashwanth got a message from Ramya as soon as he sent one to her.

A few hours later in a coffee shop:

Ashwanth held out a diary to Ramya.

“I believe this is yours”

Ramya was surprised. She then held out a diary. “And I believe this is yours.”

Now it was his turn to look surprised.

They stared at each other’s eyes for a full minute.

“Ramya, I love you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment