Monday 6 October 2014

But you didn't

I'm a fan of poetry. Not in an explicit way. I like my type of poems. If you ask me as to what I mean by my type, I don't have an answer. There have been instances when poems that others have raved about haven't really appealed to me. But there have also been instances when I've liked poems that others did not think much of. That's the beauty of poetry. It's very personal. You can enjoy them and only you'd know the reason why a particular poem appeals to you. I have tried my hand at poetry from time to time. I don't claim to be any good at it, but even as a self-critic, I know there are atleast a couple of works that I can be proud of. I'm not generalizing when I say this, but for me, I can write a poem only when I am in a certain state of mind. In other words, there is certain truth in the theory that it takes some amount of personal experience to bring out the same emotions in your poems.

Talking about poems, here's something that I read today. I felt that it was so touching. You may not feel the same way about it. Or maybe, you would. Here you go:



BUT YOU DIDN’T

Remember the day I borrowed your brand
new car and dented it?
I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't.

And remember the time I dragged you to the beach,
and you said it would rain, and it did?
I thought you'd say, "I told you so." But you didn't.

Do you remember the time I flirted with all
the guys to make you jealous, and you were?
I thought you'd leave, but you didn't.

Do you remember the time I spilled strawberry pie
all over your car rug?
I thought you'd hit me, but you didn't.

And remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance
was formal and you showed up in jeans?
I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.

Yes, there were lots of things you didn't do.
But you put up with me, and loved me, and protected me.

There were lots of things I wanted to make up to you
when you returned from Vietnam.

But you didn't.


 
The origin of the poem

An  American family of two members - mother and daughter -  lived together.  The father was enlisted in the army and he went to the Vietnam war, when the daughter was just 4 years old.   Unfortunately, he never returned. He died on the battlefield. The mother didn't remarry and lived to a ripe age of 80. When she died, her daughter found a letter in her mother's things, on which was a  poem titled "But you didn't".

(Source: Quora)

So touching, isn't it? The part about the origin of the poem adds to the appeal. That's one of the prime reasons why I felt the poem to be so touching. You may agree or disagree.  Like I said, when it comes to poems, to each one his/her own.

Poetry makes life beautiful!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment